Monday 22 December 2014

Christmas Then and Now

I used to decorate my tree with coordinated frou-frou
Now it’s full of school-made decs and topped with R2D2

I used to spend days shopping, with lunch and time to wander
Now, if it’s not sold online, it’s on my list no longer
I used to slowly wrap my gifts, whilst sipping on some wine
Now I have two ‘helpers’ and it takes me twice the time

I used to try new recipes like Nigella on the telly
Now I serve spaghetti hoops beside the cranberry jelly
I used to spend my Christmas Eve with good friends down the pub
Now I’m stuffing turkey, stockings and my gob with grub

I used to love the music: Nat King Cole and ‘Let it snow
Now, for the ten thousandth time, it’s Elsa’s ‘Let it Go!’
I used to have a lay-in, then eat breakfast in my bed
Now I’m up at 5am with two kids off their head
I used to love my Christmases, so civilized and merry
And sometimes I think wistfully of a quiet glass of sherry
But their first squeak of excitement is enough to make me sure;
I’d never swap my Christmas now for my Christmases before.

No comments:

Post a Comment